Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) Screening
Sexual health is an important part of one’s overall physical health. If you are sexually active, it is important to be proactive bout your sexual health to prevent contracting or spreading sexually transmitted infections.
Certain populations are at greater risk for contracting STIs including:
- Adolescents and young adults aged 15 – 24
- Men who have sex with men
- Individuals with substances abuse/dependences issues
- Individuals who engage in high-risk sexual activity or have high-risk sexual networks
- Individuals with poor social support
- Disadvantaged and or marginalized groups
There are many preventative measures you can take to reduce your risk of contracting STIs including
- Post Exposure Prophylaxis(PrEP)
- Vaccinations (HPV and Hepatitis B)
- Reducing your number of sexual partners
If left untreated, many sexually transmitted infections can result in serious health conditions and complications, including but not limited to:
- Cervical cancer
- Premature labor and birth
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases
- Increased likelihood of contracting other STIs including HIV, chlamydia and gonorrhea
Sexual health can be sensitive, and at times embarrassing subject to discuss with a health care provider. It is important to find a caring and non-judgemental doctor who you can trust to diagnose, treat and prevent future STIs. SwiftMDs are compassionate and empathetic and adhere to all applicable privacy laws. Because you will be evaluated in the comfort of your home, you can be assured that your privacy will be protected.
A doctor can perform urine and blood tests for the following STIs
- Human Immune Deficiency (HIV)
- HSV -2
- Trichomonas vaginalis
In addition to testing, doctors will take a detailed medical history and perform a full physical in the comfort and safety of your home. Antibiotics may be required to treat STIs. If your doctor prescribes antibiotics, make sure to complete the entire course to ensure your infection is completely resolved. The doctor will also provide a comprehensive treatment plan, taking into consideration your medical history and risk factors to help prevent further infection. All sexual partners should be referred to SwiftMD to determine the need for testing and treatment.
If you’re sexually active, take a proactive approach to maintain your health and book a doctor’s house call through SwiftMD today.